• 1. Oatmeal. The key to using oatmeal in a smoothie is to finely grind it first. Use about 1/4 cup of oatmeal powder to bulk up a smoothie.
• 2. Chia seeds. Chia seeds can act as a binding agent and thickener. Add 1 tablespoon to your blender or simply stir chia seeds into a smoothie and give it a minute to thicken.
• 3. Avocado. Avocado has a different flavor profile (and color!) than banana but it can be used to make a verycreamy smoothie. Try 1/2 to 1 avocado per smoothie.
• 4. Frozen fruit. Frozen fruit can thicken a smoothie and provide natural sweetness. Try mango, peach, or young coconut for extra creaminess.
• 5. Yogurt. Any kind of yogurt can make a smoothie creamy but if you’re after a thick smoothie, use drained or Greek-style yogurt.
• 6. Silken tofu. Silken tofu has a neutral flavor and smooth, creamy texture that works great in smoothies. It also provides protein.
Do you have any other suggestions to share?
(Image credits: Lecic/Shutterstock)